welcome...

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Pretty Girls Work ... and Rock

SO, a few nights in a row I have been sleepless with writing and writing, and wasting time on the internet when I should be writing and then more writing.

Now, if you follow me on twitter, and I suggest you do @darealchrisreed, you are probably familiar with my jokes, small tidbits of info concerning building business, retweets and side eyes.
I try not to clique up on twitter, because talking to a wide array of my followers and the people I follow is way more fun. Sometimes I just chime in, becaus
e it's all I may have time for.

But on more than one instance I was bombarded on twitter by "models" sending out pics of themselves in order to gain exposure. Now, this isn't a blog about knocking model chicks (get ya money boo), I mean, I myself considered the trade, but ... um ... I already got on a good train called College, and well, didn't feel like leaving that. Anywho, I instantly threw myself into the twitter-rant of @OhMyGlenda, ironically she's a model...

"...feel like i gotta shake my ass for some singles and get some ass shots to get attention in detroit.."

"some of these photographers only wanna shoot you...if you getting naked...#pause...i'll wait..sorry perv"
(@OhMyGlenda)

I had to agree. I mean, I'm no model, but the amount of exploitation that most women put themselves through in order to get a little attention, um, my bad "exposure", is getting a little ridiculous, and has definitely taken over some of the mindsets of the younger generation.

To the point where girls are aspiring to devote themselves to the most outlandish of professions, video model, groupie, professional facebook photo taker, non of which too lucrative...and if that falls through, some of these young girls (and I am speaking from my experience as a SAT/ACT test prep teacher in Detroit Public Schools) actually think to fall back on a career as a medical transcriber would carry them their whole lives. Um, there's a reason Devry has to go up against the collegiate accreditation bureau every year...CUZ THAT MESS WON'T LAST EITHER!

I don't want to be the weird stage mother, where I live surreptitiousness and vicariously through my younger students lives, imposing on them my values and my understanding of how college should be mandatory. But they aren't hearing that.

You see, when I was in high school, I was kinda ... weird. But not like the weird kids they have now, I
was kind of "I ain't trying to get in your face about anything, cuz I got my own thing going on." Me and my pumas, my GAP one-shoulder book bag, timberland boots worn with thick cable-knit tights, jean skirts and ofcourse, the "Why don't she have a perm" afro ... at Detroit's historically fashion forward Cass Technical HS.

(I say that so you don't think I was "I don't have a friend in the world, I hate everyone" type of weird)

But I turned out alright. I followed a few trends, yes, but I never fell victim to using my body as a tool to make money, create a following or a fanbase ... aside from posting a new avatar or cute fb pic, that I am not going to say is covered head to toe ... but I'm no participant of #tittietuesday.

So what is
the lesson here? ... ladies and girls ... and some of the boys around the world ... there is no type of "modeling" that goes on between 2am and 4am. That's what the government calls "soliciting". (pause for applause)

Ofcourse my life isn't super glamorous, but its eventful, weeving my way through the "pervs" as OhMyGlenda explained, finding other true divas who are just as regular, yet on a path towards a success that has longevity ... who may, on my 30th because it sounds fun, and I ain't GOT to, hit up an amateur night somewhere far far away from my home, or maybe just do the VixenFitness class. I find that my boys are still my boys, they respect me (yeah, its possible).

My girl @LadyWhitehead sent me to this Youtube video ... (there's cursing in it mom, so...don't have it loud with dad around), but I completely associate with this chick...



Funny right? I was crying laughing so hard when I saw this. So go forth ... be you, be wonderful, be weird ... but please, be fully clothed.

As of late I have been focused and I am inspired by all of the women that I know who, aside from being beautiful have decided to devote their minds to creating successful businesses. They are networking, searching for new opportunities, growing and giving.

Shoutouts to my mom and big sis Chloe (look out for her nail salon coming soon to San Antonio!!) @AndreaStellar,@Icis, and all the rest that I have been conversing with @MashMag, @MiaRayRay, @LovePublicity, @DeeTheDiva, my girl Traci Ricks. More power ladies.

*again, this post is not by any means knocking the stripping or video model profession, however I feel that there should be more done, mentally, to prepare girls to believe that those jobs are substantial and are reputation breaking, you may see that a video model gets her own show on VH1, but how often is this? How hard was it for her to legitimately voice her desire and willingness to be on her show? Did she have to work to be taken seriously as well as work to be viewed as an object? Viable questions before stepping into that role.

**also, I must say RIP to my bestie forever to my girl Meloni O'Brien Smith, she was a beautiful soul, activist, inspiration and yes, model from Detroit
...
she took me on my first photoshoot when we were at Fisk University together. Killed by a drunk driver Apr. 7, 2007, only God knows the amount of potential this woman had...


ttyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment