welcome...

Monday, June 1, 2009

On Gaining Comfort..

What to do when you dream about breaking your diet? When you see yourself, as if you were the fly on the wall, and you watched yourself stuff a box of Good n' Plenty down your throat. Now, I know it was just a dream, but dreams mean something, right? Was it my subconscious crying out for more sugar (it ain't happening), was it me testing my strength? Whatever it was, I dreamed I broke my diet. And that ain't right.
Nevertheless, this past weekend I moved to my own little apartment and I can't help but think of myself as a not-as-famous black-Detroit based Carrie Bradshaw...I have a studio, the closet (that you walk through to get to the bathroom) is packed, I'ma writer and the men in my life are as random as my shoe collection. So, maybe I look more like her assistant (J. Hudson's character), but even then these women have goals and a livelihood that they've adjusted to the optimum level of comfort. They fit them. And this diet is teaching me this.

You see, I was addicted to candy. When most 25-year old women go to the store and buy a small bag of pretzels, I was always found nibbling on a Jolly Rancher, Laffy Taffy, Dum-Dum sucker or Gummi Bear. It was horrible, I'd spend about $3 a day on sugary treats (thats $90 a month), and I picked up about 30 lbs. from the time my parents controlled what I bought to now..that's a lot of candy.

So, one day out of the blue after a rude awakening (I actually tore through the trunk of my car to find a mini box of Good n' Plenty) I kicked my habit cold turkey, in the middle of the week. And I couldn't be more happy. More comfortable. And that comfort comes from the fact that I don't get the dangerous mood swings, I can run farther on the treadmill, my hungry-full receptors are really working and my teeth are no doubt whiter. Not to mention I've dropped/reshaped an estimated 10 pounds!

So, make your own comfort people. Introduce positives in your lifestyle, because you are the you that you are going to be for the rest of your life. So either accept it and be miserable, or take control, atleast you'll be comfortable.

Happy Birthday Mom
Have a great Monday people.

No comments:

Post a Comment